Week 1: Browns v. Eagles
In honor of the delayed suspension of Scott Fujita, our tailgate crew set out to have a “Fujita” Bar. Naturally, Hispanic cuisine lends itself to the vegan palate. In addition to crock pot red beans and rice and grilled veggies, I wanted something to share with everyone.
This recipe comes from “Quick and Easy: Vegan Comfort Food” by Alicia Simpson. I added a 7th layer of nacho cheeze sauce to her six-layer dip . Its easy to assemble and feeds a crowd. Grab a large pyrex or one of those disposable foil tins and start layering!
Layer one: 2 cans refried beans. I used Bearitos Spicy Refried Beans.
Layer two: a cup of vegan sour cream mixed with taco seasoning. You can use store bought taco seasoning but its often unnecessarily loaded with salt. It’s simple to make your own and store it in an airtight container. The ratio is up to you, but in order from most amount to least:
- Salt free chili powder (Penzey’s has the best salt free chili powder hands down)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper (chipotle, ancho or other ground pepper works too. More from Penzey’s)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes with green chilis (Muir Glen brand)
- 2 jalapeños (with seeds!)
- Small red onion finely chopped
- Small orange or yellow pepper finely chopped
- Half bunch of cilantro chopped
- Juice and zest of a lime
- 11/2 cups vegan milk of choice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (What the heck is nutitional yeast? By Susan Voison of the amazing “Fat Free Vegan Kitchen”)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 3 tbsp. tahini
- Pinches of garlic and onion powder, paprika, chili powder, cayenne and salt
|A sloppy, delicious mess. Like any good tailgate dip!|