Avocado Stuffed Black Bean Burger Sliders
Week 6 Browns vs. Steelers
The entire city of Cleveland is riding high. The Browns trashed their bitter rival on a perfect October day and it was a long time coming. Years of frustration alleviated by a hometown hero, leading the team he grew up watching to a winning record. It just doesn’t get much better.
|Perfectly grilled stuffed sliders|
Actually, it does get better if you were able to join us at the muni lot today and sampled these stuffed veggie burgers. The creamy avocado center took it to another level.
The recipe for the burgers has been in development for a little while now. I made very similar patties for a memorial day cookout and they were gone in a flash. Its a combination black bean and seitan base so it holds up very well on the grill. The last thing you want it a mushy veggie burger falling through the grill grate.
The roasted corn and red pepper provide the necessary “veggie” to the mix. The roasting unlocks the special flavor in any vegetable and those two rank right up at the top.
|Chrispy is hungry!|
And stuffing a burger? I mean, everyone likes a little surprise inside of things, right? You wouldn’t expect to find avocado in a grilled burger but you’ll be blown away at how well it works. Don’t be afraid to experiment with other fillings too.
Toss a half slice of Daiya cheese on top and you have one creamy, hearty slider. I served them alongside pulled BBQ Beyond Meat sliders and grilled sweet potato wedges. Enjoy!
|An avocado surprise!|
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 flax eggs (3 tbsp warm water. 1 tbsp ground flax = one egg)
- 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
Roasted corn and red pepper
- 2 red peppers, halved and deseeded
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (just double if you don’t have Worcestershire)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 avocados
- Juice of one lime
- 6 slices vegan cheese (I used Daiya cheddar)
- 12 slider buns
- Preheat oven to 425. Place the corn and red pepper in the oven for about 20 minutes. Watch the corn, you don’t want to burn it!
- Meanwhile, mash, blend or process the beans. They should be mushy but with some chunks.
- Add the beans, flax eggs, Worcestershire and soy sauce to a large bowl. Mix well.
- Then add the wheat gluten, bread crumbs and spices. Knead well, about 3 minutes.
- Once the pepper is cool, peel the skin (here’s a primer on roasting red peppers. Or you could just buy the jarred stuff) and chop into small piece. Fold the chopped pepper and corn in with the burger mix
- Mash the avocado with the lime juice
- Now comes the fun part. Make a small patty in your hand, Put a small spoonful of the mashed avocado in the center and set it down on a plate. Make another small patty and carefully seal the two patties around the avocado (take a look at the pictures below!)
- Keep the stuffed patties until ready to grill. Once the grill is ready, grill each side until browned. Toss the cheese on to melt. Serve on a slider bun.
|Flat patty ready for filling|
|Add the avocado|
|Get ready for patty #2|
|Seal the edges|
|Burgers on the grill with Pulled Beyond Meat|
|A plate full of goodness, including grilled sweet potato wedges|
|Take a bite|