Week 9 Browns vs. Ravens
The last time the Browns beat Baltimore I was a senior in college. 11 straight losses and a Super Bowl win later, the Ravens came to town in a much-hyped matchup. A 4:30 game meant the tailgate had “bonus hours.” Add that to a bonus hour from daylight savings time and we had a recipe for an amazing tailgate. A great time to hold the annual Veggie Burger Off, where I ask all vegans to bring their best veggie burger to grill.
Last year’s edition of the Veggie Burger Off ended in bitter disappointment for me, as my friend Rob stole the show with his Spicy Bean Burgers. This year I was determined not to drop the ball.
Many people in Ohio and beyond claim that Northstar Cafe in Columbus has the best veggie burgers. They are made with beets, black beans and brown rice for a meaty texture and unbelievably simple and delicious flavor. My intention for the veggie burger off was replicate it and then take it to another level. Instead of just black beans, I used red kidney beans. I also topped it off with some tempeh bacon and melty daiya provolone cheese slices. A recipe for success… Enjoy!
|Gator wanted me to drop something!
- 1 lb. beets, roasted
- 1/2 dry brown rice, cooked (slightly mushy)
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup dried black beans, cooked (or use 1 can)
- 1/2 cup dried kidney beans, cooked (or use 1 can)
- 1/4 cup prunes, chopped small
- 2 tbsp. mustard of choice
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. ground flax mixed in 3 tbsp. hot water)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package tempeh bacon (I used Lightlife Brand Organic Smokey Tempeh Strips)
- 1 package Daiya Provolone Deli Slices