Hand-Dipped and Grilled Vegan Corn Dogs
They said it couldn’t be done. No, not the Browns winning their 2nd to last game of the year, avoiding an abysmal 0-16 season. They said making hand-dipped corn dogs at the tailgate with only a grill was next to impossible. I’m here to say it is not. Quite the opposite, this recipe is simple and can be replicated anywhere.
What you’ll need is a couple packs of Field Roast Frankfurters (no other brand will do), some bamboo sticks, non-stick foil and the prepared cornmeal batter from below. Put the dogs on a stick and grill. Then dip in the batter and wrap carefully, tight around the ends but loose in the middle to allow for expansion. Be generous when dipping and coat the entirety of the dog. Watch in amazement as you unwrap the foil to a perfectly encrusted corn dog. No deep frying required! Enjoy!
- 12 Field Roast Frankfurter hot dogs
- 12 bamboo sticks (similar to these)
- Non-stick foil
- 3 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- a dash of garlic powder
- a dash of onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ener-g-egg replacer
- 3 cup nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- The day before, mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, spices, pepper, ener-g-egg replacer, non-dairy milk and sugar together in a medium bowl. Slowly add additional non-dairy milk until the mixture is wet and can be worked with. However, be careful it’s not too soupy or dry and doughy.
- At the tailgate, skewer each dog with the wooden stick. Grill until brown with nice grill marks.
- Dip each tofu dog into the cornmeal mixture, making sure its evenly coated.
- Place the coated dog on a piece of non-stick foil. Place it off to one side and not in the center. Fold the closest side of the foil over the dog. From there, roll the dog until it’s completely wrapped in foil (not too tight). Twist the ends in opposite directions to seal.
- Grill again, for about 5-7 turning once. The goal is to have the batter steam up around the dog.
- Unwrap carefully and enjoy with ketchup, mustard or your favorite condiments!