We’re baaaacccccccck!!! That’s right, your favorite tailgate blog is back online with a little something special to get you excited for the 2019 football season. This year will be the biggest season EVER in the Muni Lot. You don’t want to miss a single tailgate.
To get you hype, check out this tailgate season preview video. It features a little sample of the tailgate wares we’re gonna be cooking up this season!
- Buffalo tempeh wings with cashew ranch
- Grilled veggie pasta salad with creamy balsamic
- Pizza burger with homemade seitan bean patties, pizza sauce, pesto and Miyokos Mozz on a pretzel bun (pictured right).
Big thanks to Scott Esterly of Esterly Photography for the video. This is his first crack at food videography so except some big things from him! Also thanks to the GreenRoom for a fabulous venue. I can’t say enough about Scott or the GreenRoom team. I highly recommend them for your photography, video or event space needs.
See you on September 8th!
The football offseason is officially upon us but that doesn’t mean we should stop making epic foods! I understand many people, including myself, are crunched for time after work. Easy and delicious recipes are tough to come by, especially those with a wow factor.
This recipe comes together in about 30 minutes and will blow you away with how good it is. Here is where it definitely pays to have a Vitamix
or else you’ll need to soak the nuts and work at it in a regular blender. Pair this with some bbq seitan cutlets (that I like to keep in the freezer) and a steamed veggie side. While similar to past mac and cheese dishes found on this website (Tailgate Mac and Cheese
and Chili Mac and Cheese
), this version is much simpler without losing any of that creamy delicious flavor.
If you don’t have sunflower or sesame seeds feel free to use all cashews. If you a nut allergy, use all seeds. Gluten intolerance? Use your favorite gluten free pasta as this sauce is naturally gluten (and soy) free. You can make everyone happy this week for dinner, enjoy!
Prep 10 mins ∙ Cook 20 mins ∙ Makes 8 servings
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- Water or veggie broth to cover
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup raw sesame seeds or tahini
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Salt to taste
- 16 oz whole wheat pasta of choice
- 1 jalapeño chopped and quickly sautéed (optional)
- A handful of greens, chopped (optional)
1. Toss the sweet potato, carrots, onion and garlic in a small pot and barely cover with the water or broth. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minuted or until soft.
2. Meanwhile, boil a large pot of water and cook the pasta according to the directions. I like to add a large handful of greens during the last 5 minutes of cooking to make it more healthy!
3. In a vitamix (if not using a high speed blender, please soak your seeds/nuts accordingly) add the cashews, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, spices and the contents of the veggie pot, including water or broth. Blend until creamy.
4. Mix together the cheesey sauce and drained pasta. Toss the jalapeño if you want so kick or serve with your favorite hot sauce.