Teriyaki Tempeh ‘Ritos
Week 3 Browns vs. Ravens
Momentum was in the Browns favor after the big upset win last week and the weather held off for another perfect tailgate. Unfortunately, the Browns lost in typical Browns fashion despite being the better team. The vegans really ended up winning the day with amazing eats and you can find the recipes below.
Tempeh, much like tofu, absorbs flavor really well. I allowed the tempeh to marinate in a homemade teriyaki for 36 hours before tossing on the grill. Tempeh holds up quite well on the grill even when soaked with a marinade.
I paired the tempeh with grilled portobello and pineapple. I simply glazed them with the leftover marinade from the tempeh. The beauty of not using meat! The marinade can be reserved and used for other purposes.
Also, the burrito is a great vessel for the grill. It crisps up nicely. Erin, the wrapping queen put these together and loaded them peanut slaw, more teriyaki and peanut sauce. Enjoy!
- 2 packages tempeh (16 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cup soy sauce, bragg’s or tamari
- 1/2 cup rice wine, sake, or mirin
- 1 cup water plus 1/4 cup water
- ½ cup agave nectar or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 head garlic, pressed
- 2 tbsp. minced ginger root
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- Whisk all the ingredients except for 1/4 cup water and corn starch in a sauce pot
- Simmer over low-medium heat, until reduced by about half (20-30 minutes, or so)
- Cover the tempeh with about 1/2 of the sauce. Cover and refrigerate overnight
- Make a glaze with the remaining sauce. Mix 2 tablespoon cornstarch with ¼ cup tablespoon water. Heat sauce on medium high heat and add cornstarch water mixture. Simmer until thickened.
- 30 ounces of slaw (half or purple and green cabbage and 4 carrots), shredded
- 3 tablespoon natural peanut butter or other nut butter
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon stevia, or other sweetener to taste
- roasted peanuts for garnish
- Place the shredded slaw into big serving bowl.
- Put the nut butter into a small bowl and whisk in the pineapple juice. Add the vinegar, curry powder, and red pepper flakes. Check the flavor and add stevia or other sweetener to taste.
- Pour over slaw and mix well.
- Refrigerate over night. Garnish with peanuts before serving.
- Teriyaki tempeh, curried peanut slaw and peanut sauce (above)
- 5 portobello mushrooms
- 1 pineapple, sliced vertically
- 12 burrito wraps