And we’re back! A long offseason punctuated by a perfect fall day, a new tailgate van and a full menu
Hard at work on the new grill table
of vegan fare. A tailgate breakfast can be a welcome treat and a life saver. Often when making a big meal it can be hours before you eat and no one wants to snack on chips and salsa for breakfast. So that’s why I love to incorporate a grilled breakfast item at the tailgate.
Last year Broccoli Rob made vegan break burritos ahead of time, wrapped them in foil and then tossed them on the hot grill first thing in the morning. They were excellent! That got me thinking about other breakfast items we could make and naturally I landed on the Egg McMuffin.
This recipe combines the best of all worlds: marinated tofu, vegan sausage breakfast patties (there are countless brands to choose from), vegan cheese, whole wheat English muffins and a special blend of sauces. After you eat this sandwich you will ask yourself, “why can’t I eat this every day?” Enjoy!
- For the marinade:
- 1/3 cup tablespoon vinegar (any kind but Balsamic)
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or less, if using ground mustard powder)
- 1/3 cup tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Sriracha Maple sauce
1 teaspoon black salt (Kala Namak is a must!)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- dash of white pepper
- 6 sandwich-sized slab of extra-firm tofu, cut into circles
- Rest of sandwich:
- Breakfast bread of choice: English muffin, biscuit, etc. (I used Ezekiel Sprouted English Muffins)
- Vegan cheese (I used Daiya cheddar slices)
- Vegan sausage patties (I used Gardein Breakfast Patties)
- Vegan margarine (optional)
- Sriracha-infused Maple syrup (optional. 1 part Sriracha, 1 part Maple Syrup)
- The tofu should marinate AT LEAST overnight, then the rest of the recipe takes under 10 minutes to execute.
- Marinade: Mix the marinade ingredients in a small plastic container with a lid. It will be thick! If it looks dry, cut with a bit of cold water. Once you have a paste, toss in the tofu, close the container, and shake to cover tofu completely. Refrigerate at least 8 hours, and even up to 48!
Tofu butcher is in the house!
Prepare the grill for direct heat.
- When grill is hot, give the tofu a final shake in the container, then place in grate along with the sausage patties. Keep most with any excess marinade. Grill the first side about 3-4 minutes. Flip tofu over, and grill another few minutes. When you flip the sausage over, place a piece of vegan cheese on top. Tofu is done when it’s a goldenrod color on both sides and has nice grill marks. When the cheese is melted, pull the sausage patties off the grill.
- Meanwhile, prepare the bread to toast. Spread with a little vegan butter if you wish. Toast the bread right after the tofu and sausage is off.
- Now once the bread is toasted, spread some of the sriracha maple sauce and vegan mayo on the bread. You can assemble the sandwich and then place it on the grill, or just eat right then and there!
|Time to grill!|
|Grilled to perfection!|